Saturday, July 31, 2010

Question for Multiple dog (of both genders) house holds?

Hi Everyone

I have been thinking about acquiring a third Cardi in the future.  A main concern that Chuck has is if we were to get a female, would the boys fight more now that a female would be in the house.. especially when she goes into season?

Cooper is neutered, Uno is not.  They rarely fight and if they do it's a small spat over a bone or toy.  I guess that my concern is would it be a bad idea to introduce a female to our pack (in the future) or would it not really be a problem? 

For all you multiple dog households out there that have 2 males and 1 female or 2 males 2 females etc (you get the idea).. how are they around one another?

Cooper is 3, Uno is 2 now.  They are very well behaved and great around other dogs.  Around other females they are fine too.. but I guess I'm concerned on whether or not their behaviors may change if we were to bring a female home?  Or should I just stick to having males?

Thoughts and Input would be much appreciated!  Thanks Guys!!

5 comments:

  1. When I added my 3rd Cardi, I chose to add a girl because I knew my un-neutered male would never tolerate another male in the house; that's just how he is. You have 2 males, one of each persuasion. I think whether or not it will work will also depend on the personality of the 3rd dog. I wouldn't hesitate to add a girl in your situation but I would be sure to work with the breeder to get one whose personality meshes well with your boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They both get along with everything. They get along with our two cats.. and 6 chinchillas too. Even when the chins get loose in the house the boys just hang out with them.. or herd them to safety LOL.

    I would like to get a female as a third. I think they'd be fine and not fight with one another over a female?

    Both boys are very happy go lucky. Coop is more laid back than anything and a total mush ball. Uno is very busy, intense, and my velcro dog. So maybe a female who is similar in personality to Coop would fit right in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I don't think there would be any fighting over a girl. If anything, a girl may get after the boys a bit - just to prove that girls are better and smarter than boys. There is a reason they are called 'bitches.' :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really will depend on the dog, but a girl in the house may put both the boys in line and take over as the Queen Bee. I always have had a house full of boys and one girl. Until the girl/boy ratio started to change, and I never had trouble with boys and a girl to rule the place. Multiple girls were the start of my issues, and it's only the girls who *ever* give me trouble. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if maybe we got an older puppy or young adult that needs to be finished etc.. if that would be better than a 3-4mos old pup? But how could one resist cute Cardi pups ;)

    This is juts me thinking out loud for next year as a possibility.

    ReplyDelete